The Hispanic community in America has never been stronger, yet it is underrepresented in all sectors and has a negative perception in the media. According to recent studies and the Hispanic Sentiment Study, one of the challenges the Hispanic community faces is the lack of leadership and misrepresentation of their causes as a differentiated community. The Hispanic community must unite to start exercising its power and thrive – this has never been more urgent.
The Summit will focus on these three questions:
What unites us? | What is our common dream? | And, how can we get there?
For inquiries, contact: [email protected]
REGISTRATION CLOSES TUESDAY DEC. 4TH
“We are fragmented, underrepresented and misperceived, so we need to think less like 26 different nationalities and more as one community. Uniting is the key to moving from thinking small to thinking big.”
CLAUDIA ROMO EDELMAN
SOLOMON D. (‘SOL’) TRUJILLO
CHAIR & CO-FOUNDER OF THE LATINO DONOR COLLABORATIVE (LDC), CHAIR & FOUNDER OF TRUJILLO GROUP, LLC
PRINCIPAL, SIEBERT CISNEROS SHANK, LLC
CLAUDIA ROMO EDELMAN
FOUNDER, WE ARE ALL HUMAN FOUNDATION
VICE CHAIR, GREENBERG TRAURIG
PRESIDENT & CEO, HISPANIC ASSOCIATION ON CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY.
SENIOR DIRECTOR & SENIOR ADVISER ON INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS TO THE EXECUTIVE CHAIR
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF HISPANIC JOURNALIST
Sergio Fernandez de Cordova
CHAIRMAN & COFOUNDER
Liliana Gil Valletta
CEO & COFOUNDER
CULTURINTEL AND CIEN+
CO-FOUNDER, CHAIRMAN & CEO
PRESIDENT & CEO
HISPANIC ALLIANCE FOR CAREER ENHANCEMENT
PRESIDENT OF THE BOARD
WE ARE ALL HUMAN FOUNDATION
LATINO DONOR COLLABORATIVE
Jose Luis Prado
CEO & CHAIRMAN
EVANS FOOD GROUP
JOURNALIST / PRODUCER
United Nations Headquarters New York, NY
The Hispanic Leadership Summit will take place in Conference Room 4 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City.
Pick up your badge from a Summit representative at the visitor entrance on the corner of 46th Street and 1st Avenue (starting from 11:30am).
KICK-OFF LUNCH – Our Well-being, Our Future
Delegates Dining Room (4th Floor)
- Henry Cisneros, Principal, Siebert Cisneros Shank, LLC, Co-Host
- Patricia Menendez-Cambo, Vice Chair, Greenberg Traurig, Co-Host
- Cid Wilson, President & Chief Executive Officer, Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility, Co-Host
- Catherine Hernandez-Blades, Senior Vice President; Chief Brand and Communications Officer, Aflac
- Beth Engelmann, Chief Marketing Communications Officer, Dairy Management, Inc.
1:30 – 1:45 – Opening Keynote (Conference Room 4): Sol Trujillo, Chair and Co-founder, Latino Donor Collaborative (LDC), Chair and Founder of Trujillo Group, LLC
Mr. Trujillo will kick off our day with his vision for realizing the potential of the US Hispanic/Latinx community, setting the stage for the introduction of our day’s agenda.
1:55 – 2:10 – Session 1: An Overview of US Hispanics today
A deep dive into key insights from the Hispanic Sentiment Study commissioned by We Are All Human Foundation and conducted by Zeno Group. Panelist will discuss how study’s insights suggest a call to action for our US Hispanic community.
- Ana Valdez, Executive Director, Latino Donor Collaboration
- Therese Caruso, Managing Director, Global Strategy + Insights, Zeno Group
- Claudia Romo Edelman, Founder, We Are All Human
2:10 – 2:35 – Panel 1: VISION 2020
Panel convenes voices from the worlds of business, news media, research, civic society and agriculture to discuss 6 key thematic areas of critical interest to the US Hispanic/Latinx community: i) education and skill development, to ii) a better talent pipeline for corporate America, iii) access to capital & finance, iv) high tech opportunities for Hispanic entrepreneurs, v) shifting narratives and perceptions of Hispanics/Latinos in media and entertainment, and vi) benefits of increased civic engagement by Hispanics and Latinx Americans. This panel will set the stage for the common agenda for 2020.
- Henry Cisneros, Principal, Siebert Cisneros Shank, LLC, Co-Host
- Mark Hugo Lopez, Director, Director of Global Migration and Demography Research, Pew Research Center
- Cynthia Hudson, Senior Vice President and General Manager, CNN Español, Hispanic Strategy, CNN/U.S.
- Rosemarie Burgos-Zimbelman, Partner and Dairy Nutritionist, Rio Blanco Dairy and Dairy Nutrition Services
- Jose Luis Prado, Chairman & CEO, Evans Food Group
Moderator: Judit Arenas, Senior Director and Senior Adviser on International Relations to the Executive Chair, APCO worldwide.
2:35 – 3:00 – Panel 2: Media’s Role in the Perceptions and Narratives of Latinx and Hispanic Americans
Leaders in media and journalism convene for a discussion on the visibility, perceptions, branding, communications related to how the Hispanic/Latino narrative is framed today within and outside the community. Will also explore how to increase Hispanic talent in the Media industry.
- Maria Hinojosa, President & CEO, The Futuro Media Group
- Jorge Ferraez, President & Publisher, Latino Leaders
- Gillian Tett, US Managing Editor, The Financial Times
- Will Lewis, CEO, Dow Jones
- Leonor Ayala, Director, Diversity & Inclusion, NBC News/MSNBC
Moderator: Hugo Balta, President, National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ)
3:00 – 3:25 – Panel 3: Technology: Biggest Opportunity & Challenge
Panel tackles the role technology and the tech industry play in influencing the future of Hispanics and Latinx Americans. Topics include employment challenges, the role of Hispanic entrepreneurs, and whether technology should be harnessed to drive unification of the US Hispanic and Latinx community.
- Alvaro Celis, Vice President, Microsoft Corporation
- Raquel Tamez, CEO, Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Yovany Jerez, Hacemos National President, AT&T
- Josue Estrada, SVP, Marketing & Product Solutions, Salesforce.org
- Laura Marquez, Head of Latino Community Engagement, Google
Moderator: Sergio Fernandez de Cordova, Chairman & Co-Founder, PVBLIC Foundation
3:30 – 3:55 – Panel 4: Roadmap to the C-Suite: How to Get There
A discussion about the state of career tracks for Hispanics and Latinx leaders who desire to be CEOs. Panel will discuss opportunities for improving the pipeline and how to address this issue with today’s CEOs.
- Andy Unanue, Managing Partner, AUA Private Equity Partners, LLC
- Luis Felipe Rodriguez-Vega, Head of Growth and Innovation, WU Way, Western Union
- Additional panelists TBC
Moderator: Cid Wilson, President & Chief Executive Officer, Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility
3:55 – 4:20 – Panel 5: Marketing, Branding the Hispanic/Latinx Story
An exploration of the branding and marketing of Hispanic/Latinx America and how it can be improved through increased leadership from the community. Will also explore corporate America’s role in marketing to this community and how a more unified Hispanic/Latinx community can improve the situation.
- Maria Lensing, Vice President, AT&T Business
- Lili Gil Valletta, Co-Founder and CEO, Cien+ and Culturintel
- Susie Jaramillo, Chief Creative Officer and Co-Founder, Encantos Media Studios, Creator, Canticos
- Ariana Stolarz, Global Chief Strategy Officer, MRM/McCann
Moderator: Dario Spina, Chief Marketing Officer Ad Division, Viacom
4:25 – 4:35 Fireside Chat with Mary Dillon, CEO Ulta Beauty, and Agustina Sartori Odizzio, Founder & CEO, GlamST (interviewer)
A conversation with the CEO of Ulta Beauty, one of the cosmetics and beauty industry’s most diversity-forward businesses. Moderated by Agustina Sartori, whose GlamST business was recently acquired by Ulta.
4:40-4:45 – Voting Results Round-up
Summit Host Claudia Romo Edelman reviews how attendees voted and how their views aligns with findings from We Are All Human’s Hispanic Sentiment Study.
4:40- 4:50 – Tom Bossert, former Homeland Security Adviser to President Donald Trump
4:50 – 5:55 – A View from Gen Z: 16-year-old Jimena Tinoco (Speaks about her aspirations and visions as a GenZ Gispanic young woman)
Claudia Romo Edelman welcomes a keynote perspective from this accomplished young public speaker.
4:55 – 5:05 – A View from Latino Leadership: Sec. Julian Castro, Former US Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
5:05 – 5:30 Panel 6: Political Roadmap to 2020
As another presidential election approaches, this panel explores what Hispanic and Latinx priorities should be acted on as a unified community. Includes a discussion on what can be done to increase the community’s vote.
- Juan Andrade, United States Hispanic Leadership Institute (USHLI)
- Sec. Julian Castro, Former US Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- State Sen. Daniel Ivey-Soto (D-NM), National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators
- Maria Teresa Kumar, President & CEO, Voto Latino
- Enrique A. Chaurand, Senior Vice President of External Affairs & Communications, Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI)
Moderator: Patricia Menendez-Cambo, Vice Chair, Greenberg Traurig, Co-Host
5:30 – 5:50 – Conclusion Committee: Commitments for 2019, 2020 and Beyond
Each of the summit’s thematic rapporteurs share three the opportunities, challenges and solutions for their respective areas over the course of the day. Then voting commences, as audience prioritizes agenda items for 2019 and 2020 next steps and commitments.
- Patricia Mota, President & CEO, Hispanic Alliance for Career Enhancement (HACE)
- Rapporteur on access to education and skill development
- Ramiro Cavazos, President & CEO, United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (USHCC)
- Rapporteur on access to capital and financial opportunities
- Gaby Natale, President of the Board, AGANARmedia
- Rapporteur: changing the narrative and improving perception of Latinx
- Alex Hurd, Senior Director, Programme Development & Portfolio Management, Health and Wellness Transformation, Walmart
- Rapporteur for marketing, business and entrepreneurship
Overall HLS rapporteur and panel moderator – Oscar Suris, Strategic Advisor, We Are All Human
Sol Trujillo, Henry Cisneros, Patricia Menendez-Cambo, Cid Wilson and Claudia Romo Edelman on stage. Each one has 2 minutes to conclude and reiterate key messages of unity.
OUR TIME IS NOW RECEPTION
ATLA Restaurant 372 Lafayette Street New York, NY 10012
Thank you to our sponsors