Southeast Regional Hispanic Leadership Summit 2022
July 20, 2022
1:00 – 1:10 PM ET Welcome Remarks
An introduction to the Southeast Regional Hispanic Promise Summit summarizing an overview of the objectives of the day and next steps that will follow the learnings of the summit.
- Claudia Romo Edelman, Founder & CEO, We Are All Human
1:10 – 1:20 PM ET Co Chair Keynote
- John Quelch, Dean, University of Miami Herbert Business School
A-Z of Hispanic Data, Insights and Trends
1:20 – 1:30 PM ET Hispanic Origin Population in the United States: Highlights from the 2020 Census
Representing the force for growth in the US, this presentation will focus on population trends across the Hispanic community to understand the current state and what to expect in the future.
- Roberto Ramirez, Assistant, Division Chief, Special Population Statistics, U.S. Census Bureau
1:30 – 1:40 PM ET The Latino Community in the Southeast
An overview of the key facts and figures about the region’s Hispanic community economic impact and trends.
- Sandra Noemi Torres, Founder, United Latinas
Good Health & Well-Being
1:40 – 2:20 PM ET Elevating Health & Wellness
Coming out of the global pandemic, health and wellness has been a prioritized discussion over the last two years. From farmers to businessmen, various areas of health and well-being have been under the microscope, from mental health, to access to healthcare, to activating healthy lifestyles through sport and physical activity. What is inhibiting best practices in these areas for the Hispanic community? What can be done to address the key barriers faced by the community? This conversation will explore this.
- Karina Pavone, Executive Director, Amigos For Kids
- Sandra Ochoa, Vice President Member Engagement, Cano Health
- Dr. Cristina Agostinelli, Regional Medical Director, CareMax
- Barbara Cesar, Director of Education, Centro Campesino
- Emma Dean, Doctor, University of Miami
Moderator: Samara Cristhina, Head of Strategy & Partnerships, Plurawl
2:20 – 2:40 PM ET Hispanic Heritage Month Toolkit 2022
2:40 – 3:20 PM ET Latina Leaders: Closing the Gap
Latinas are the key to the success of the Hispanic community. Yet, Latinas are one of the lowest paid groups in the country, largely underrepresented and misrepresented in media, and relatively absent from key industries. In fact, Latina Equal Pay Day was moved back over a month this year to reflect the massive pay gap. How do we elevate Latinas and help them flourish? What cultural, societal and economic paths have brought successful Latinas to the top? This session will be a conversation to discuss best practices for supporting the advancement of Latinas in the workplace and beyond.
- Ana Teresa Rodriguez, CEO, ATR Luxury Homes
- Susy Alvarez-Diaz, MBA, EdD, Senior Lecturer, University of Miami
- Dr. Maribel Morey, Founder and Executive Director, Miami Institute for the Social Sciences
- Priscilla Guasso, CEO & Founder, Latinas Rising Up in HR
- Francis Hondal, Executive Advisor, Mastercard
Moderator: Nathalia Ortiz, Director of Content & Production, Natush Media
3:20 – 4:00 PM ET Equipping the Workforce of the Future
Understanding some key skills and industries of the future, what will it take to ensure that access to education and skilling opportunities are available across the Hispanic community? From early education, to mentorships, to partnerships with academic institutions or community organizations and to professional development, how can we provide access to quality education and development opportunities? Let’s explore.
- Hector Mujica, Head of Economic Opportunity, Google.org
- Eddie Garza, CEO, Mexican American Council
- Valeria Alterman, Assistant Professor, University of Miami
- Dr. Maryam Laguna Borrego, Vice President for External Affairs and Chief of Staff to the President, Miami Dade College
Moderator: John Moreno Escobar, Director of Growth in Latin America, The National Society of Leadership and Success
Decent Work & Economic Growth
4:00 – 4:40 PM ET Successful Workplaces of the Future – For Entrepreneurs &
Corporate America is playing catch up on how to best support and elevate the workforce of the future, the Hispanic community. From ensuring they have properly skilled employees, having diverse representation from their boards to entry level talent, and contracting diverse suppliers, it is imperative to have strategies to develop employees, partner with entrepreneurs and small businesses, and prepare for the evolving workforce that becomes more Latino by the day. How can corporate America be prepared? How can entrepreneurs, small businesses and talent be prepared? How can these business ecosystems work together? Let’s discuss!
- Josie “Mr. J” Martinez, CEO, Hope for Miami
- Jose Salcedo, CEO & Co-Founder, Tryylo
- Illianna Acosta, Senior Manager / Global Co-Chair, Hispanics of LinkedIn Alliance, LinkedIn
- Ileana Musa, Managing Director, Morgan Stanley
Moderator: Enrique Arbelaez, Co-Founder, CIEN+
4:40 – 5:20 PM ET Hispanic Promise Panel
A gathering of C-Suite Execs who have signed the Hispanic Promise, committing to take action to prepare, hire, promote, retain or celebrate Hispanics in the workplace. Together we will hear about the important work being done and highlight the importance of leading with purpose Additionally, these leaders have championed the Hispanic Star within their companies, using it as a tool and resource to uplift their employees and build genuine connections with their Hispanic consumers and local communities.
- Carla Santiago, General Manager, Edelman Miami
- Lizette Ibarra, CEO & Founder, Latina Chief LLC
- Samí Haiman-Marrero, President & CEO, URBANDER
- Jorge Plasencia, Co-Founder, Chairman & CEO, República Havas
- Joy Dettorre, Global Head of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, HR Chief Diversity Officer, IBM
Moderator: Carolina Veira, Director of Strategic Partnerships, CSR, CEI, Caremax, Inc.; Leader, Hispanic Star Miami Hub
5:20 – 5:30 PM CT Closing Segment
Gather back together for final thoughts.
- Claudia Romo Edelman, Founder & CEO, We Are All Human